Friday, January 23, 2009

Pismo Beach to Buellton


Yesterday I forgot to mention the drive on the beach.  Four-wheeling in the Chevy truck!  Cool.

And, the trip to SLO (San Luis Obispo) and the Farmers Market, which takes place every Thursday night of the year.  Larry and Bob got mochas and we strolled the street fair looking for items of interest.  Harold and Jane Higgins are former residents of SLO and pointed our way to the interesting "Bubblegum Alley".  Quite an interesting place and I'm afraid it reminded me way too much of my teaching days with the desktop undersides coated with dried chewed-up gum!

Today we began with "breakfast in a bag", which I'd heard of but never tried.   Basically, it's a unique way of making an omelet.  You put all the ingredients into a plastic boiling bag, seal it shut,  and then drop it into boiling water until it's cooked.  We also made overnight monkey bread, which was delicious.  

Elaine and I walked down into the shopping district and then a sizable group of us left for La Purisima Mission in Lompoc.  We spent quite a long time there and had an excellent guided tour.  

After that, it was a short drive to Buellton and a most attractive RV Park.  Many of us took a trip to nearby Solvang before Happy Hour and dinner.  Larry and I located the Worldmark resort and gave it a quick once-over and seal of approval.  And, did I mention it rained off and on all day????

Dinner was at the Hitching Post steak restaurant.  It was quite expensive and luckily, very very good.  I had grilled shrimp and Larry had a flat iron steak.  Everyone agreed it was outstanding.

Tomorrow - off to Santa Barbara.

No comments: