Monday, September 3, 2012

August 12, Shannon

Another wonderful breakfast at the Ross started our day!

Today we traveled north toward the River Shannon estuary.  Our first stop was in the village of Adare, noted for its many thatched-roof homes.  We visited the visitors' center and several excellent gift shops.
Church was in session, as it was Sunday, so we just took pictures of the outside.  Beautiful sunny day.

Continuing north we traveled around Limerick City to see Dromoland Castle before arriving in the village of Shannon and the Oakwood Arms Hotel.  The hotel is beautiful and we were given a private tour of the wedding and banquet rooms.  Gorgeous!!  The owner was a woodworker and it was amazing to see all the beautiful moldings, etc.

Off to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park.  In looking at some of the photos, I realized I had no clue where they were taken.  Then I remembered:  After I entered Bunratty Castle, it became difficult to navigate, even with a map - and next thing I knew, I was outside!  Finally I found Larry, who had taken the right stairs, etc. so I decided I'd just look at his pictures and not try to attempt another trip through the castle.

We strolled through the Folk Park and it drizzled and rained intermittently, but was still very pretty.

This was also the location of Durty Nelly's, where we'd been strongly urged to visit by Roxy.  She and best friend, Jeneane, had been to the one in Australia because Jeneane and her husband and in-laws had been to this one in Shannon.  Roxy said their quest to visit the one in Australia resulted in a VERY long walk!  Five miles, she claims!  Larry had a Guinness and I had a coke before heading back to the minibus.

Upon our return for dinner at the Corn Barn, Larry jumped out to dash into Durty Nelly's one more time so he could staple one of his state park patches on the wall to accompany the many many other patches stapled to the walls.

Dinner and the show were delicious and fun.  I think we were given a choice of salmon or Irish Stew, but our waiter claimed it was the very best Irish Stew ever, so it had a lot of takers.  It was indeed good.

No comments: